It would be remiss if I were to simply reflect on my experiences and not give a summary of what has been going on so far. Yesterday we visited a local Mallorcan beach called Cala Comtesa. ¡Fue una experiencia increible! Not only was the sand pristine and soft, but there was barely anyone around to share the beach with. To be sure, this has been one of the nicest beaches I have been to to date. Let the pictures speak for themselves. We also had the first day of classes. My class, Mediterranean Marine Environments is very biology based and is taught in English. The cool thing about this class is that we get to do a lot of field work. And I mean A LOT. Snorkeling, dissection, field visits--it's all included in our course and we start getting out there next week. Granted there are some lectures to provide a background to what we are experiencing in the field, but a lot of the course is done as hands-on learning which is so cool. And what better place to do that than in Palma? I also had my first sangria after class--it was really quite good, given that we didn't stir it well enough and ended up with a puddle of sugar at the bottom of our pitcher. It is fruity, with a hint of carbonation and blood oranges to top it all off. The only downside? It was quite strong--I was out after one glass.
(Cala Comtesa)
(One powerful sangria)
Today, we took a bus out of Palma to Soller, then took a boat to Sa Calobra. Again, an amazing place. The 2+ hour journey and the slight motion sickness was SO worth it. Words cannot describe the natural beauty that I saw today. First, the water. You know how sometimes malls put blue dye in their fountains to make it turn blue? Well all of the water we saw today was that bright blue. And clear. It was the most beautiful natural water I have ever seen. Second, the landscape. Surrounded on all sides at Sa Calobra was jagged rocks as high as the eye could see. Well, maybe a little shorter than that but still. The result of water erosion to be sure. The entrance to the beach was a small opening between two gigantic rocks to the sea, a beach full of pebbles. But instead of going towards the beach, I went hiking with some of the guys out the other way towards the rocks. And what an adventure it was--talk about taking the road less travelled. We were exploring paths up and down rocks, jumping between large boulders, and squeezing between trees. It was an outdoor lover's dream. We even saw a couple of goats (and unfortunately, some dead ones too). AMAZING. So amazing. I wish I could bring it all back with me.
(Sa Calobra)
(This amazing blue water...The beach is around the right corner)
(The rocks behind the beach--where the hiking adventure begins!)
(The guys hiking)
A new adventure awaits.






No comments:
Post a Comment