On Tuesday, the marine environment students did not have class, which meant that I got to sleep in. And sleep in I did...to 10:30 at least. Wasn't the longest I have ever slept but considering the fact that I have been waking up naturally at 7am every day, I felt pretty good about the extra 3.5 hours of sleep. It was another perfect day, and what better thing to do on a perfect day than go to the beach?? So for the third time I headed to Cala Comtesa with the crew to lay out in the sun and get some tanning action on. Being a Tuesday, the beach was not terribly crowded, but there were still people out and about, giving it some life. And some smell...for the entire time we were there, there was a very pungent pot smell. If second-hand high is a thing, then I probably got it while I was there. Ah well...Anyway, we got to go out and do some exploring of the landscape around the beach while we were there, which proved to be quite the parkour challenge. It was really fun though, and hopefully we will be back again to do some snorkeling with the class. At night, we had a "Tapas Tuesday" at the Ruta Martiana. Several restaurants in the area were serving tapas/cervezas at reduced prices, so we all got to go out as a group with our Guardian Angels and experience that for ourselves. It was really crowded--an eclectic mix of tourists and locals, all taking in mixed Spanish/Catalan/English/German/French vying for the bartender's attention to get their drinks and tapas. And all this from 9-12 at night. The Spanish definitely know how to do nightlife. At this time of night most Americans would be going to bed after a long day of work, but here; the night seemed to only just be getting started.
(Standard beach visit)
Today for class we headed to Soller to visit the Natural History Museum and check out its collections of Foraminifera and sea grasses. In addition to learning about the marine and terrestrial life in the area with the exhibits throughout the museum, we also got to dissect three different species of fish which was very cool. In human physiology we always said that "form follows function." It was certainly true with these fish as well. We were able to quickly determine where the fish was commonly located, whether it was predator/prey, what things it commonly ate, etc. If there is anything at all that I am going to learn from this class, it's that nature certainly takes care of its organisms through adaptations. After coming back and taking my four hour nap (which by the way, was glorious), I headed out towards the Cathedral and shoreline to be super touristy and enjoy the scenery/take pictures, something I wouldn't dare doing as part of the larger CIEE group. As night fell, and it took quite a while for night to fall (the sun sets at 9:20 here...), the sky slowly turned from a bright orange to a red crimson, transitioning to a lavender purple and finally a navy blue. The colors of the sky plus the expansive waters made for an unforgettable scenery, perfect for picture taking. I would LOVE to live here and experience this every day. I would say its the same, if not better as a mountain sunset. Different, but beautiful just the same. As the lights of the city slowly became illuminated, I headed back for a late dinner which I got to eat with my host mom. Rare is the chance that I get to eat with her--she is always so busy running between her two jobs, and by the time she comes home, she is too tired to talk much let alone eat with all of us. Ah well, the joys of being alone I guess--she gets to do what she wants to do to relax, and I get some time to soak in the Mallorcan vibes.
(Large fossil collection at the Natural History Museum)
(Large foram slide collection--these are sorted by species on each slide)
(Joe being science-y)
(Botanical gardens behind the museum)
(View of the mountains from Soller)
("Swan Lake" next to the Cathedral)
(Fountains and shrubbery)
(Beautiful sunset and Cathedral)
(The colors are amazing!)
(The Cathedral lit up at night)
Tomorrow brings more class and a meeting to prep for our Intercultural Exchange weekend to London.
A new adventure awaits.











No comments:
Post a Comment