Yesterday, I spent some time down at the 7 body beach (named that way because it's so small, it only fits 7 bodies) in the morning, looking around before heading back to the house and eating lunch. We were supposed to leave at 1 to get our gear (refer to above story), but class got pushed to 2 so we ended up leaving at 1:15. To make matters worse, our lunch, like most of our meals, was delivered late to us so we couldn't start eating until 12:50. We made it to Palm Trading, a wholesale dive shop at around 1:30 and had about 20-25 minutes to roam around the shop and figure out everything we needed. Needless to say, it was one of the more stressful and hectic times of my life trying to figure out which masks fit, which equipment was good, how to get the wetsuits on, etc. Of course, I ended up buying anything, and we hurriedly drove to the CIEE research station to have our first class. The class itself went pretty well (a three hour science lecture...), but afterwards we got to go out to the waterfront for our swim test. We had it easy (our Dive Safety Officer (DSO) only wanted to know we could swim), so we did 400m of swimming in open water. I am certainly not the fittest person, but I managed to pull my body through the whole test and made it back in one piece. We headed back to the research station to dry off and talk to the DSO about our goals for diving and snorkeling, and what needed to be done in order to accomplish them. After that, we drove back to Hamlet to have dinner, and I basically hung out at the house doing homework for the rest of the night. I must admit--not having a cultural portion to deal with in this program is a bit nice, but at the same time, I feel like I am missing out on so much on this island. All it is here is class, homework, dive, snorkel, eat. That's the vibe I am getting from everyone here.
(Kids in the water ready to do their swim test)
(Sunset over the water)
(The rocky beachside sunset)
(These trees are perfect)
(Look at the color on these clouds!)
(The pool at night--looks great for a swim)
Today in the morning, our DSO came to get us early to help us get equipment. We went back to Palm Trading, this time with an hour to select what we truly wanted. I ended up getting a wetsuit and boots (basically the underwear to my snorkel gear), before heading to class. We had three and a half hours of class, and within that, three completely different lectures on marine biodiversity, AGRRA fish identification, and coral reef ecology. I don't think I've had any class so intense before--the amount of information packed into those three lectures was mind boggling, and I definitely needed time to review after the lectures were done. That was so much information that was given compared to the three hour lectures Salud used to give us in Palma. The educational pace has definitely been changed here in Bonaire. After class we were driven back to Hamlet to eat lunch, and as soon as I finished eating, I took my bike and went to GoooDive, a nearby dive shop to get the rest of my equipment. I completed my snorkel gear with the purchase of my mask, snorkel, and fins, and happily biked home. Since the other students were doing a dive check, and we did not need to complete that, we decided to go snorkeling ourselves near Hamlet. I ended up going into the water for two hours, snorkeling around and trying to use my newly acquired AGRRA identification techniques to identify fish. The water was certainly not as clear as in the Mediterranean, but the biodiversity was so much greater--the number of fish species here were amazing, and they let me swim up close and almost touch them. It was really fun to snorkel just around Hamlet--I am sure I will get to see some other really neat things when we snorkel in the future. After snorkeling, we went to the supermarket to get food for the upcoming week, and then headed back for dinner. It's been a really relaxed night since--I have been sitting here trying to memorize the AGRRA species for the last few hours before tomorrow's dive, while at the same time trying to relax and enjoy my time in Bonaire. It's a weird feeling; not quite relaxed, not quite focused.
[Sorry, no pictures from today--I don't have an underwater camera to capture the cool stuff underwater yet :/]
Anyway, I am rambling. Tomorrow, we have a biodiversity dive for class early in the morning and hopefully some jellyfish hunting (for fun) at night! Definitely putting that new gear into good use.
A new adventure awaits.
PS--there aren't many pictures to take, since we're constantly moving back and forth between the same locations. Also, the island is pretty barren--only small houses and buildings line the roads. Most of the magic is underwater. I am in the process of trying to get my hands on an underwater camera--that would be really cool to work with, and it would allow me to get some great shots of what I am seeing the times I am not on land!






No comments:
Post a Comment