Monday, June 22, 2015

Changes

So, what happens when things are different--different than what you expected, different from what you've experienced, different from anything and everything you know? You adapt, or get left behind. And it's so easy to get left behind. Coming to Bonaire, I knew that the courses were going to be mostly SCUBA dive based, but what I did not know was that there really isn't much to do on the island besides SCUBA or snorkel--in fact, Bonaire is most known for its SCUBA and windsurfing. So, when I got here, I was shocked to find out that not only was almost everyone else in the program SCUBA certified, but they had also brought their own equipment--mask, snorkel, fins, boots, regulator, etc. I totally wish I had known that we needed to bring our own equipment here, I mean they provided everything for us in Palma so I just kind of assumed that they would have everything here for us. I guess not. As a non-diver coming into this program, it's hard not to think that you're not getting the whole experience. It's kind of like saying that I am going to Spain but I am going to speak Chinese and eat only Asian food there. It may be good, but it's not the whole experience; you miss out on Spanish and Mallorcan culture when you limit yourself in this way. So maybe it's peer pressure (not that people are forcing me to dive), but I feel like by not diving and not getting that experience while I am here, I am missing out on a major component of this program. I already cannot do some of the more interesting dives for class as it is, since I can only snorkel. It's crazy. I feel like I am being left behind at this point with no way to catch up. Okay, maybe there is a way to catch up. But it costs a LOT of money. Like over $1000. So at this point, I dunno if it's completely worth it. But I'm missing out on some of the experience. But it's a lot of money.............This argument is swirling through my head as I write this. As soon as I get off, I am doing some more research on SCUBA gear and masks so I don't buy the wrong things tomorrow.

Yesterday was the first day in Bonaire, and it was great. The island is very dry, just like Mallorca, but it is at least 2 or 3 times more humid here than in the Mediterranean, which means that all sorts of creatures that I am not used to come out in swarms to me. As soon as I got into the airport, the first thing I noticed was the sweltering heat, which was not helped by the fact that I was wearing long khakis and shoes. Customs went by smoothly, and I was found relatively quickly by CIEE staff and then transported to the Hamlet, which is a waterfront resort. So apparently a high school program is staying in the residence halls where we would normally be staying, so we are instead at a resort within easy walking distance to the water. The accommodations are nice--we have one other roommate, a living area with TV, a kitchen, and lots of space to hang stuff around and do homework. It's actually really nice, although I do miss the privacy of my homestay. The people, I instantly noticed are different. Both the island and CIEE people. The island people are so much more chill than those in Mallorca--Bonaire truly runs on Island Time, whereas I suspect Mallorca runs more on Spain time than the famous "Island Time"...I could be wrong though. The people are also super different--everyone is a bio/environmental science/marine bio major, which means that we all get to geek out together. Really really different than in Palma, where people were in pretty diverse majors working towards all fields. I definitely feel out of my league hanging around these people, especially when they delve into marine biology talk since my only exposure to marine bio is the four week survey "course" I took in Palma, if you can even call it a full course. Ah well, I am sure we'll learn a lot of things here. When we got a little settled into our resort homes, a group of people went snorkeling, and others went diving, but I ended up staying around since I did not have any equipment with me to do anything. Ah well, after tomorrow I will have stuff. We then had dinner, and went back to go to bed really early to recover from traveling. I definitely needed that. 30 hours of traveling was pretty long, and made me super tired and disoriented from the time change.

 (Line for the runway at Newark)

 (Klein Bonaire from the plane window)

 (Thanks for taking us to Bonaire!)

 (The tiny Bonaire International Airport)

 (Bonaire windsurfing is apparently world famous)

 (View from the waterfront)

 (Some great areas to view the water)

Today, we got up and had orientation about the resident life here, especially since we are living off campus this term instead of in the regular CIEE. Most of the stuff was common sense, but there were a few interesting tidbits, especially about theft around the area which apparently is really common. Anyway, we had lunch and then headed off to see the CIEE classrooms and old dorms to rent out bikes so we could get around the island. The bikes were kind of in bad shape--a lot were rusting, and some had flat tires, but I ended up getting a pretty good bike. We then had class orientation with the professors and teaching assistants, and played some ice breaker games to get to know each other more. We then went to Spice, a beachfront resort to have a welcome BBQ, which was a great opportunity to talk and network with students and staff in a relaxed atmosphere on the beach with the sun setting behind us. Afterwards, we stopped by the CIEE research station to pick up our bikes, and headed back to Hamlet (where we are staying) to chat. I had a chance to skype my dad for Father's day (Happy Father's day!), but now I am heading to bed after all this activity. The heat and the sun definitely takes a lot out of you!

(Path to the waterfront)

(Spice resort beach--one of the few sandy beaches on Bonaire)

(Classic Caribbean beach)

Tomorrow, we have the first day of classes and a swim competency test. We'll also be getting snorkel gear which I am excited about!

A new adventure awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment